Monday, March 7, 2011

Madcap Monday -- Goat silliness

Goats are extremely intelligent creatures. At least that's what my goat-raising books tell me. Goat kids also love squeezing into tight spaces.

So last year when our Rosie started crawling into the feeder to eat (and even sleep), I didn't think much of it. The chickens didn't seem to mind either.

I think mama Lucy was a bit curious as to her babe's latest antics. Or maybe she was just jealous -- knowing Lucy's eating habits, I'm sure she'd love to immerse herself in her food.


I figured Rosie would simply grow out of it -- the feeder and the behaviour.


Fast forward a year later: she's still eating in the feeder. How she squeezes her pygmy-goat girth through the opening is beyond me.



I think she's laughing at me, don't you?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is totally laughing at you. What a cutie pie!

Mama Pea said...

"What?" she says. "It's a feeder, right? Where else do you get your feed than in a feeder? And what better place to sleep in case you get the munchies in the middle of the night?"

Annie*s Granny said...

How cute! Maybe she thinks she's a rabbit. My house bunny always sleeps in his hay filled "pooper box", and munches on the hay when he gets a hunger pang, LOL!

Amy L. said...

Oh, those critters! One of our 10-month old steer calves, Clyde, is fond of eating his hay or haylage from the center of the 12' ring feeder. His half-sister, Annabel, used to do that, too, and didn't stop until, at about the age of 14 months, she got herself stuck fast, halfway in, and raced around with the feeder caught behind her shoulders, cockeyed in the air, freaking out the two cows we had at the time. I'm quite sure that broke her of the bad habit. I wish Clyde was bigger-bodied like his half-brother, Cowboy...then he just couldn't fit at all!

fiona@fionacampbell.ca said...

Ruth -- yes, she is. I've come to terms with the fact that most of the animals here laugh at me. I've come to expect it, in fact. :)

Mama Pea -- using goat logic, does that mean I should start sleeping in the kitchen at night? Hey, I think the goat is on to something!

Granny -- Isn't that kinda like snacking when you're on the toilet? Eeww, loL!

Amy -- I am in stitches over here with the mental picture you just painted... hilarious!! I can totally see one of our critters doing that! Thanks for that Monday giggle...

Cary Ann said...

Your post and pictures made me chuckle. Too cute ! Hope you have a great week.

Nellie from Beyond My Garden said...

I've decided that goats are ALWAYS laughing at us.
nellie

Erin said...

She is beyond cute, I LOVE goats!

Related Posts with Thumbnails