Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Yarn Along -- Jack's socks are done!

Taking inspiration from Ginny over at Small Things, here's this week's Yarn Along update:

I don't have anything new on the needles right now (just give me an hour), but I do have a project freshly off the needles -- yes, Jack's socks are finally done!

Author Malcolm Gladwell discusses in his book Outliers, that the key to success in any field comes from practicing a specific task for a total of around 10,000 hours; also known as the "10,000 hour rule." If this is true, I must be an expert sock knitter now. Just kidding, sort of.

Here's a photo of him modelling the almost-completed pair before school this morning...


... and here's the completed pair (this is also my April Year in Colour project), along with one of the books I'm currently reading: May All Be Fed -- Diet for a New World by John Robbins.

I unearthed this book in a thrift store and as I was flipping through it, found this short passage in the introduction:

"May All Be Fed is an invitation to eating with gratitude for the blessed gift of life -- and to understanding how our food choices affect our health and our world.

In a culture that is as commercialized and depersonalized as ours can be, bringing consciousness and thanfullness to our meals is no small achievement. It is, in fact, an act of liberation."

Part one talks about how we can all benefit from eating lower on the food chain; part two offers a delicious selection of good for you -- and the planet -- recipes. I look forward to sharing some in the future!

8 comments:

Bending Birches said...

love the photo:) what a great way to capture the project:)

Lindsay said...

You know, I can't ever seem to finish a pair of socks. Yours are lovely :)

Susan said...

Great job on the socks! They look wonderful. The second one is always a challenge, isn't it?

Erin said...

very nice socks! I finally am knitting again, even if it's only a dishcloth :)

a little crafty nest said...

Hello dear Fiona...It's been a long while since I visited, and I did a little catching up! Love those socks for your boy:) And I've read that book a long time ago, the day before I became vegan. Hmmm... However, we eat it all now, just very consciously. Hugs to you, hope all is well:)
xo Jules

Anonymous said...

Looks like you're an expert sock knitter to me! :-)

Prairie Cat said...

Oh neat! I just started crocheting and have been thinking about learning how to knit as well. I don't know that I would ever invest my time in making socks though, just because I tend to lose them so often.

fiona@fionacampbell.ca said...

Thanks, everyone, for such lovely comments! While I don't always respond (though I do try) I read each and every one!
These socks were very fun to knit and my son loves wearing them to bed. And now my daughter is asking when will I finish hers! That's the lovely thing about knitting, isn't it -- always something new to try... :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails