Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Yarn along -- New Luuk hat for Ella

It's been ages since I've participated in a Yarn Along (see Ginny over at Small Things if you'd like to join along), and I had a hat for Ella that I was going to share today, but as soon as I finished it, I decided I didn't like it. Not one bit. She wasn't too pleased with it either. It was a bit tight and plain and just not "Ella" enough. So I frogged it, before I even took a photograph.

I love knitting hats for the kids. Each is a small project, so it works up quickly and as they both enjoy wearing hand-knit items (it's even a source of pride as they tell people, "my mum made me this!"), they get good use out of them. To me, a hat, like anything I create with my own hands, is a token of my love for them. But it's important that we all like the finished product.

I really like this one...

And I think Jack looks so smart in his WW2 watchman's cap:

So while it was a drag to unroll an entire hat, I'm happy I did. I've already picked out a new pattern for Ella: the Luuk hat from Raverly. I think it'll look really sweet in a variegated pink Cascade 220 wool that I've been stashing.

As for reading, I just received another shipment of books from publishing house Thomas Allen & Son for my new The Bookish Farmer feature:

I think this'll keep me busy. But then again, maybe I won't have much time for reading over the next few days. It's Jack's birthday next week (his 10th, no less!) and I just picked up some yarn for another pair of birthday socks. (Yes, I am the ultimate last-minute knitter.) It was May before he got his last pair of birthday socks -- I'm hoping I can crank these out before the end of April!

What are you creating and/or reading right now?

8 comments:

Alisa said...

Great projects! I also frogged a project this week....oh well it happens right! Good luck with those birthday socks!! Happy knitting!!

Jennifer said...

Frustrating as it can be at times, sometimes frogging is the only way. Both the hats are adorable. I especially like the watchman's cap; very manly. :)
JNCL
The Beauty of Eclecticism

Bruce Robertson said...

Hi Fiona et al...
Dr Bruce here...nice to see that you are blogging again...
to see what we have been up to
check out or new web page
Skarabraefarms.com
we have many of the chicken breeds you are looking for as well as several prototype chicken tractors that we built
You are welcome to visit anytime...
Take care

Erin said...

Beautiful hats! I love the look of the Luuk too. I just started a beret type hat for my niece and will try my hand and needle felting a flower on the front, never done it before so I'll definitely need to practice first :) I just finished a Minnesota murder mystery book but was reading a book on the milk industry at the same time, so I'll be going back and finishing that next!

Ellen said...

That Luuk hat is such a neat pattern. And knitting it in the pink will look nice.

karen said...

Both hats are adorable! Love the colors you chose!!

Taryn Kae Wilson said...

Love those pictures! Your kids look great in their hats!

fiona@fionacampbell.ca said...

Thanks for all your kinds comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails