Monday, March 28, 2011

Madcap Monday -- Cold frame update

Today's outdoor temperature at 12 p.m. : 6 degrees Celsius/42.8 degrees Fahrenheit

Today's temperature inside the new cold frames: 19 degrees Celsius/66.2 degrees Fahrenheit

Bring on the four-season growing! Now if I could only get my compost pile to thaw out...

Ed. update: As of 9:30 p.m., the outside temperature has dropped to minus 2 degrees Celsius, but it's only 1 degree in the cold frames -- a three degree difference, versus today's 13 degree differential. So once the sun sets, it looks like the frames are losing heat like a sieve. Tomorrow I'll try snugging some straw bales around each frame for some external insulation. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

Amy L. said...

That's awesome, and the most inspiring reason I can think of for me to try building a cold frame, too!

Mama Pea said...

Yayyy cold frames! Our compost pile is still in it's frozen solid winter mode too. Plus it's full up to the top. But we know it will sink drastically once the temps warm up. Warmer temps have got to start soon. Don't they??

Erin said...

Very nice! Make sure to take those nighttime temps too! Can't wait to see what will go in there...

Tammy said...

You've inspired me to have my fella make me some! I love it and can't wait for the snow to melt and get one going! Love it!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails